Whether you commute on foot, like a stroll in the park or are a serious hiker, I’ve got a few tips for you to push your walk harder…
- Walk like you’re on a cross-trainer by swinging your arms. This will make your walk more energetic and boost your heart rate by around 5 beats per minute, which will get you into the fat burning zone.
- Don’t stick to the paths; go through the grass or sand. The drag factor will mean that your body is working harder.
- Try to walk tall; keep your head up and back as straight as possible when walking so you have perfect posture.
- Take the stairs one at a time, so you burn more calories. Research has found that ascending five flights of stairs one at a time will burn 302 calories on average, while taking them in twos burns just 260 calories.
- If you walk the same roads to work every day cross the road! This will give you a fresh perspective on the same sights.
- There are bound to be roads within minutes of your home that you’ve never set foot on. Make it your mission to walk a different never-ventured-down path once a week.
- Meditate on the go. The repetitive side of walking makes it a brilliant time for meditating.
- Get lost. Take the wrong road, discover new paths and do it all as fast as you can. A fast but long walk will boost your cardio and have added fat-loss benefits, without taking any extra time.